The Beginner’s Guide to Learn Almost Everything About WordPress
So you’ve been blogging for quite sometime now and you’ve been posting random personal and business stuff on one of those free hosted sites. Everything has been going on well so far until one day this free hosted site suddenly announces that it is shutting down and all your content including all your contacts, posts and thousands of images will no longer be available after a certain date. Horrors! You now scramble to download every last post you’ve made and backup all your data before the clock strikes twelve or else everything disappears forever. Have you ever had that happen to you?
And then you stumbled upon WordPress. The thing is you know very little about it and so you start googling about it which is also probably why you ended up here and you are now reading this post. You want to know more.
Below are some useful resources to help jumpstart your WordPress journey. These resources are mainly aimed towards the novice or beginner level so WordPress savvy professionals might find some of these a bit elementary. Nevertheless, these references can someday come in handy whether you are a beginner or a true blue WordPress guru. We would also like to ask our readers to join the conversation by leaving a comment, any helpful suggestions or additional resources to add to our list.
For those who are about to begin their WordPress journey, check out these resources we have compiled to help you get started:
Websites to Bookmark
- WordPress.com – A blog web hosting service (free) powered by the open source WordPress software. A good starting point on how to learn the how WordPress actually works at the backend and also to familiarize yourself with running a WordPress site. You can always upgrade to Premium status once you know your way.
- wpmu.org – The number one source for WordPress news, tips, plugins, and theme reviews.
- WPBeginner.com – A WordPress resource site providing quality tips, tricks, hacks and other resources for the WordPress community.
- Speckyboy.com – Web design magazine that offers tutorials, time-saving techniques, inspiration, and useful resources for the web including WordPress.
- wp.tutsplus.com – A site dedicated to teaching people how to use WordPress, develop widgets, plugins and themes.
Books to Read
- How to set up a WordPress Blog – A Guide for Seniors – For seniors and beginners of any age.
- WordPress Made Easy – Simple and easy guide to creating your own WordPress site.
- Smashing WordPress Themes – Learn more than basic techniques to customize and enhance your WordPress site.
- WordPress in a day – A step by step guide to creating a full professional website and blog, for business or personal use, in a single day.
- WordPress To Go – How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner – A step-by-step guide through the essential first steps to building your own website or blog using WordPress.
- Teach yourself WordPress Visually – Helps you get started, step by step, with creating and setting up a WordPress site. Ideal for the visual learner.
Channels/Videos to Watch
- WordPress.tv – A visual resource for all things WordPress including tutorials, updates, and the latest news.
- WordCamp.tv – Presentations, highlights, and behind-the-scenes look at WordCamps around the world.
- Lynda.com – Online courses and tutorials on anything WordPress.
- StudioPress.tv – Step by step video tutorials for the Genesis Framework for WordPress.
- Youtube WordPress tutorials
Authors/Developers to Follow
- Matt Mullenweg – Founding developer of WordPress
- Justin Tadlock – Creator of Hybrid WordPress Theme Framework
- Brian Gardner – Creator of Genesis Framework for WordPress
- Nick Roach – Developer, Owner of Elegant Themes
- Lorelle VanFossen – Keynote writer on everything WordPress
Straight from the Source
- WordPress.org – the ultimate source for all things WordPress.
There are so many resources out there and so many tutorials that can help you get started. These are just a few to help point you in the right direction.
Note: Many of the articles on this site include affiliate links that may earn us a commission if you decide to buy the recommended product.