Life begins at 4.0
WordPress 4.0 debuts as scheduled August 27, 2014. In a sneak peek video conducted by Morten Rand-Hendriksen, he gives a rundown of the latest features that can be expected in this latest iteration. Here’s what he shared:
- Language Selection Screen – Option to choose language aside from English upon install.
- Sticky Post Editor Toolbar – Toolbar stays or “sticks” on top even while editing or scrolling down through your post. Extra panels like SEO, Excerpts, etc. can be dragged and dropped into the sidebar for easy access. Spellcheck can be added via a plugin or by Jetpack’s Spelling and Grammar. Extra buttons or meta boxes can also be added via plugins.
- Ability to add videos and actually watch it in the Post Editor (oEmbed).
- Media Library Grid Enhancements: filter, search, toggle display options.
- Enhanced Install Plugins experience – instead of a vertical list new grid pattern layout somehow similar to the Theme Installer experience with emphasis on the plugin ratings.
- Widgets can be edited in the Customizer with a live preview where you can see what goes on before actually publishing.
If you’d like to learn more about what to expect in WordPress 4.0 before its official release, you can watch the whole video presentation event of Morten Rand-Hendriksen including answers to real-time questions by viewers posted on Google+.
Note: Many of the articles on this site include affiliate links that may earn us a commission if you decide to buy the recommended product.